Tuesday, March 16, 2010

On this SAJIBU Nongma Panba Cheiraoba

While preparing the ‘Athenpot’ for Lainingthou-Leimarel (Sanamahi) this morning, I kept on pacifying myself on the way I was hurrying and rushing things. Although taking leave is out of question, I just cannot think of not making a small prayer & offering to our ‘Lainingthou-Leimarel’ (tucked in the corner of my flat) on this Sajibu-Nongma-Panaba Cheiraoba. It’s an auspicious day for our divine Protector (of every household) and I was hastening up the arrangement of the offerings – rice, vegetables, candles, flowers etc., trying to follow the little nitty-gritty of ‘Athenpot’ I knew, specifically relating to this God. In particular, the banana leave(s) on which the offerings are made/arranged is not cut (into round shapes etc.) but torn along its natural stripes; and all offerings are in two sets – one for Leimarel and another for Lainingthou. As a person deeply passionate with religious rituals, the kind of immense satisfaction one experiences while making preparation for a ritual/puja is tremendous – arguably, much more fulfilling than the actual prayers itself. And for this fulfillment, a peaceful and relaxed mind is essential; and by God, speed and restlessness of the morning hours (in an office day) do not help at all!!

Interestingly, we live in a stage where the different cultural & religious practices (followed by Meeteis) have been intricately inter-mingled – much more than ever before. I called up my mother in Manipur and she told me that they are celebrating the Cheiraoba today. Having known my parents as devout and strict Vaishnavites for years, I was quite surprised. In my childhood, with the deep religious background I was brought up, I could never think of my parents celebrating the ‘Sajibu-Nongma-Panaba Cheiraoba’. Mother justifies – this year, the ‘Goura Cheiraoba’ falls on a day ‘where the Gods eat the humans’ (Laina mee chaba) and hence, is not auspicious. Whatever, time has changed and it only reflects the changing mindsets – probably, we could be in a transition of another impending change of faith & conviction.

When I reach home today, I will cook the rice & vegetables being offered to Sanamahi this morning and relish a ‘Cheiraoba dinner’ tonight. Having learnt to live with my limitations, this is the only way to relate myself of the festivities connected with this auspicious day. This may sound absurd and could even offend the religious sensibilities of at least those who are strict adherers. So far as offending God is concerned, I am not worried. If He is one whom I truly believe in, He will judge me more by my heart & mind (and by my humane acts) than through my external rituals/practice done to reach Him. I trust rituals could be more for satisfying/fulfilling one’s mind than of pleasing Gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment